Principal Purpose Of Job: Responsible for Library public or technical day-to-day service functions with specialty skills in either or both areas. The position serves as customer service representative, helps present a positive library image, participates in Library staff meetings, and assists in the development and implementation of innovative services.
Level Of Authority: Performs duties based on established policies and procedures. Errors in judgment could impact the Library's resources and public acceptance of programs, protection of customer confidentiality, personnel, and facilities.
Work Environment: Work is performed primarily in an indoor office setting.
Essential Job Functions: Duties and responsibilities shown in these sections are intended to recognize the functions common to public services and technical services positions as well as the specialty areas applicable to each position.
1. Public service duties include matters such as assisting customers of all ages throughout the public floor, cashiering, checking in and sorting materials, shelving, calling holds, customer calls, issuing cards, as well as assisting on inter-library loan.
2. Technical service duties include matters such as receiving and checking incoming materials, downloading records and copy cataloguing, searching records, updating databases, working with Librarians, or text, audiovisual, and other material labeling,
Additional Job Functions:
1. May perform portions of the work of other positions, as needed.
2. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
1. Prefer one to two years of customer service and problem solving related experience or equivalent. Prior library related experience preferred.
2. Requires a high school diploma or equivalency. Prefer at least a 2 year college degree or equivalent continued education. A combination of training and experience that provides the requisite skills and abilities may be considered.
3. Requires proficiency with computers and the ability to learn site specific programs.
4. Must have ability to work independently in a multi-tasking customer service setting.
5. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. Must have the ability to work with numbers accurately and understand verbal and written instructions.
7. Must have computer ability to explain and adequately utilize automated library catalogue and circulation systems.
8. Must be bondable.
1. Strength, for example, to push loaded book cart weighing approximately 300 pounds on level floor, to lift or maneuver onto cart loads up to 30 pounds.
2. Ability to bend, stoop and lift for prolonged periods in cramped spaces.
3. Ability to sit and stand and use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal, for extended periods of time. May require ability to stand and rove the public floor providing customer assistance for a prolonged period.
4. Ability to use hands to grasp and pinch library materials for a prolonged period.
1. Communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with City employees, customers and other community members and be responsible for protection of customer confidentiality.
2. Exercise judgment and be proactive when solving issues in the workplace. Work in a timely fashion with supervisor and the library management team to make process
3. Handle multiple activities amid interruptions without compromising accuracy in work performed.
4. Work a schedule including weekday, evening, weekend and morning hours.
5. Work positively and effectively in a team environment.
Use of Tools and Equipment
Office and library equipment, such as; cash register, computer, smart phone, laptop/tablet, paper cutter, fax, copier, and telephone. May use various tools for book and other library material repair.